Monday, March 16, 2009

5 days and 3 midterms to go....

I had my first midterm today.  Painting critique.  It went  pretty well.  There's only six of us in the class, we each had two paintings and it took about 4.5 with a 30 min lunch break.  So, not bad.  Marsha takes her critiques "very seriously".  She gave a lot of constructive criticism with a few compliments to each of us.  She says that this isn't a beginners course, so I'm not handing out compliments unless you deserve them.  So, we all have things we need to work on.  Its just amazing to me that we all paint so differently.  I love seeing all of our work together.  No one's is better than the other necessarily just a different painterly style.  Marsha says I'm too hard on myself and that I take things too seriously.  That I need to enjoy it more.  I agree.  And I'm working on that.  
But, it was good.  I took a lot of notes, things to think about later.  And ways to improve on my next painting. Which will be a double portrait, including myself and a model.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  But I trust Marsha to guide me through it and challenge me all at the same time.  Then the painting after that, our last one, is going to be a diptych and we will have more free rein with it.  I'm excited about it although I have no idea what I want to do with it yet.  I still have time to think about it.
Tomorrow I have what I think will be my toughest midterm, Italian.  ugh.  I'm learning to not like this language as well (because I suck at it).  I hated french (because I sucked at it too).  But oh well.  As long as I get a C I'll be good.  :) 
I also have Marble tomorrow too.  But no midterm, because in the words of Jana (the professor) "We don't have time for that test crap." Haha.  She cracks me up.  I think I'm going to get brave tomorrow and use the air hammer to speed things up a bit.  My stone (yeah its a stone now not a rock) is finally taking some shape.  Sure, it doesn't look like anything yet, but who's does?  lol.  It's starting to look like my sketch a little.  Which is reassuring, its just such hard work.  I'm not used to such physical art.  But I like it, just not for 5 hours straight.  
But, after I survive this week I will be rewarded.  With  my dear Keith coming to visit for a week!  I can NOT wait to see him.  I'll probably tackle him in the airport I'm sure.
Well, I just wanted to update everyone.  And let you know that I survived my first midterm/critique.  Lets hope the rest of the week flies by! :)

Peggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment